Monday, March 7, 2011

Wal-Mart vs. Small Town America


I was setting up the shot for this building in Lockhart, Texas, with my camera on a tripod when I saw the Wal-Mart truck coming. I had already been looking at the building with dismay - it clearly needed some life breathed back into it as a home for businesses.

The lens on my camera was a Canon TS-E 24mm f3.5L, otherwise known as a "Tilt and Shift" lens because you can shift the lens relative to the sensor of the camera to eliminate perspective distortion (where the building is leaning back). The lens is manual focus only, and the truck was coming fast, so I took my chances and took a single shot.

I do think this image captures why we have empty downtowns in these small towns that were once booming with business. Wal-Mart takes away business from local business owners, under pays their employees who then can't afford to support the local businesses that haven't yet been run out of town.

It is a sad and vicious cycle.  Do you keep your money local when you can?

No comments:

Post a Comment